Friday, December 5, 2008

Homemade Birthday Cakes


My daughters birthday party is this weekend. We do not spend a lot of money on parties, but we have a great time by making everything simple and homemade. I save the most money by making my children's birthday cakes. With a birthday cake running anywhere from $15-$40 it's easy to see how much money can be saved by making your own.

1st, I use a box mix & icing because I can't make a good cake. This costs me about $3. If you make lovely cakes, you might save even more money than I do. 2nd, you DO NOT have to be a great decorator to make a cake. This homemade cake website is very helpful for people who have never decorated a cake before or who are just looking for ideas.
3rd, If you decide that you absolutely can not decorate a cake then look at buying a cake kit. You can simple bake and ice a sheet cake and stick one on top. Most bakeries, (I get mine from Wal-Mart) will sell them for about $5 a piece.

Here are a few cake decorating tips:
-To get a smooth look dip a knife in hot water and run lightly over iced cake.
-Freezing a cake and brushing the crumbs off after will help your cake not to have crumbs in the frosting.
-Use a ziploc bag with the tip cut out to make simple lines.

At the most your homemade birthday cake will cost $8. Over the course of your child's life this would save you $216!

No matter what the cake looks like, your child will love it and you will feel good that you made it yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What adorable cakes. We will soon be celebrating little ones birthdays more often. I'll definitely be visiting that cake site!

mom_of2boys said...

Cute cakes! I'll have to check out the site. My son's birthday is coming up on the 27th.

Thanks for sharing.