Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My first bread


So I'd been agonizing over baking my own bread. I'm not a great baker and I've wondered if it really is cheaper than storebought. I decided if I did make my own bread that I would do it with a breadmachine since I work full time.


When I picked up DD from my grandmother-in-law's today I asked her if I could borrow her's to see if I really liked it. She said I could have it! What a blessing. She asked if I would bring her a loaf now and again, and I said sure.


Now I did not have a lot of time to look for a recipe since we had church tonight, but I wanted to try it so we could have our first loaf tonight. I went with one of the first ones I found. Here's the recipe.




Now here's what we thought


Pro's- The flavor was great! I added about 1/2 tsp each of garlic, rosemary, and onion flakes. It was still warm when we got home so the butter melted perfectly. The texture on the inside was also tender & moist


Con's- The crust was very hard. I did put it on the medium setting, but I had a hard time cutting it. It also did not rise to the top. The breadmachine setting was on 1.5 lb loaf and it only rose about 3/4 the way.


I liked it and will try again, but I think I might look for a softer outside & taller loaf!

0 comments: